CONTESTS

None at the moment, check back soon!

Recent Posts

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Cover Comparison Thursday: Twilight by Stephanie Meyer





Thanks to everyone who gave their opinions yesterday!

Cover Comparison Thursday is a weekly meme (now!) hosted by me to showcase international covers of a certain book, and share our opinions on each.













Denmark -->

I like all of this, especially the two small hearts. But I do not like the image of Bella on the front... the cartoon picture just makes the book look childish.

VERDICT: It's debatable... I may or not pick it based on the cover. It probably depends on my mood.

SCORE: 6/10




<-- Japan

Not crazy about this cover at all. It looks more like a comic book than an actual novel. I assume the two characters on the cover are Bella and Edward, and if so, they're not accurately portrayed. For one, they have the same skin color on the cover, but seeing as only one is a vamp it doesn't really work. Also Edward is not a blonde. I do like the simple white background though.

VERDICT: Yeah not happening.. I wouldn't buy the book with this cover. Sorry.

SCORE: 2/10








Germany -->

I do like this cover. I love the contrast of the red lips and rosy cheeks to the porcelain skin, and because of these features it's not necessarily Bella. It focuses on beauty, which plays a large role in the Twilight saga. My only complaint is that it wouldn't really stand out amongst brighter covers in the YA section


VERDICT: I would definitely pick up this book. I am a fan, especially of how mature the cover seems.

SCORE: 8.5/10









<-- Thailand

I also love this cover, it's very similar to the German cover in that it revolves around beauty of the figure on front, who almost looks like a marble statue. However, the cover scheme-- the greens, yellows, and red-- don't really make sense to me, but I don't have much of a problem with them.

VERDICT: I would also pick this up because of the cover. It's lovely and elegant, regal almost.

SCORE: 9/10











Norway -->

Although I like this cover, I most definitely do not like it for this particular book. The candy hearts are more suited for a chick flick, not a paranormal mystery.

VERDICT: I would buy this book with this cover, as it in no way offends the story, but I do not support it. The mood it presents does not fit Twilight.

SCORE: 7/10









<-- Indonesia


All the hair is a turn off, though I do like how it forms a heart. I'm not sure who the woman is supposed to be... Rosalie, maybe? Perhaps the descriptions of the characters are different for each country, but this woman does seem like she belongs on the cover of Twilight. I also don't like the clash of the yellow of the hair against the red sky. I do like the red sky alone though.

VERDICT: I probably take a look at this book with the certain cover, though I might be a little hesitant, maybe because the woman is naked?? Not a bad cover though.

SCORE: 7/10








The Netherlands -->

LOVE this cover... love the black background against the pale arms, love the symbolism of the apple, love the heart shaped bite.

VERDICT: 100% buying this.

SCORE: 10/10














<-- Russia

Um, I don't know anyone in Twilight that has blue eyes... The person on the front does resemble Bella a lot, apart from the eyes, but it's not very appealing. I also hate the font and color of the title. Barf-ola. The trees in the background are fine.

VERDICT: Hmm... this depends. Probably not going to pick this one up and read the blurb. So I'd probably not buy it in the end.

SCORE: 5/10










I'd love to hear your opinions. My favorite is the Netherlands cover.

Thanks to everyone who participates and comments! If you do participate, click the Mr. Linky and leave your name and blog URL in it. I'll be sure to comment on everyones!








14 comments:

Michelle Santiago said...

i like the german cover best. the netherlands one is cute :)

erinjade said...

i like the u.s. one. is that an option? haha!
if not, i like the netherlands version as well.

Terri Coop said...

Clever meme, thanks for the hard work! I have to agree on the Netherlands version. It is familiar, but different . . . in a good way! I'll be back, I do a lot of graphic design and love cover art.

Terri
www.whyifearclowns.com (humor blog)

Remilda Graystone said...

I agree with you. The Netherlands cover is gorgeous. I also liked the Thailand one. Germany's was nice too, but I felt like it wasn't bright enough, it wasn't...Twilight enough.

Great meme! I enjoyed looking over the covers and your thoughts on them.

Bidisha said...

I actually only like the original US one. It's symbolic and I love it!
The Norway one is cute but in no way does it suit the twilight atmosphere. It's more like LA Candy.

Gemma Cooper said...

I also LOVE the Netherlands one. So good. I'm not a big fan of books with girls on them - means you imagine them as the MC and I like to create that image myself. Had the Norwary one, reminds me of LA Candy and makes you think of a light fluffy romance!

Creepy Query Girl said...

Cool post! It's neat to see all the different coverwork. I like the netherland's one too. it's funny how its just slightly different from the american one but makes a huge difference!

ohsnapsurplus said...

I love the Netherlands cover. I love how the bite kind of symbolises how she has eaten the forbidden fruit and now there's no turning back.

Meeroar said...

I <3 the Germany cover. It really focuses on the essence of the book instead of materializing one of the characters. I always hate covers that show images of the characters. I like to imagine them in my head instead of someone else making it for me.

Cara said...

Oooh, the Netherlands one is definitely my favorite! Very nice, very nice. I'm really not diggin' the hearts, though. It might be the fact that the hearts remind me of Lauren Conrad's book. Anyway, fantastic post!

Also, I gave you an award! You can check it out over here!

Brianne Carter said...

I gave you an award on my blog :)

Anonymous said...

I actually like the Denmark and Russia covers. I didn't realize that book covers were different depending on the country. Is this for all books? Great post.

Abby said...

I would definitely buy the 3rd one if it was on its own book/manga. It doesn't suit Twilight at all, though. Definitely not. I think the girl is cute.

brandileigh2003 said...

thailand is my fave

Post a Comment

i love the comments and appreciate each and every one. i try and return them on your blogs ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Page Views Since May 25, 2010

free hit counter