1. Why did you decide to have 4 alternating narrators in Linger?
Because two just wasn’t hard enough! No, actually, it was because I really wanted to have two characters to play off Sam and Grace and their relationship. In order to really dig into the angst back story, I had to get inside their heads.
2. Who is your favorite character from Linger, and why?
3. What element(s) of Linger do you wish could be part of your own life?
The chicken parmesan Grace and Rachel made. Everything else would send me to therapy. Oh, well, I guess I’d like to hear Sam’s music from this book. I have a couple of tunes I’ve written for his songs, but I think they’d sound better if he sang them.
4. Do you ever dream about your characters/stories? If so, do those dreams ever become part of the actual book?
I dream about my characters and stories all the time. Dreams are often the genesis of my short stories and while I usually can’t use them exactly as they happen, they often have kernels of great stuff that I couldn’t think of while awake. I can always tell when I’m really deep into a rough draft because I’ll start dreaming scenes from the book. Yay, subconscious. I think a lot of authors take inspiration from their dreams.
5. When you were writing the Shiver, did you have an idea of what was to come in Linger?
6. Can you share anything at all about the third and final book in the series, Forever?